We had a trip coming up to the Bahamas and had a few items on our to-do list.  So the captain and I compared notes and split up some of the work.  First on the list was to check out some work we had done while we were away from the boat.

On the long positioning trip from San Diego to Florida our dual autopilot worked fine.  But on a trip in March we starting get error messages and ended up piloting the boat manually.  It may seem romantic to spin the big destroyer wheel in the pilot house but it is no fun for hours at a time.  Getting the auto pilot fixed was a top priority.   After doing some diagnostics on the boat our local expert thought the most likely cause was that both of the rudder indicators had failed, sending faulty signals to the autopilot brain.   While it would be unusual for both to fail at the same time its not unheard of.  So a couple of new indicators and a few hours of labor to install and tune the report was everything was working.   Our captain checked out the system and confirmed everything is working well, one big item off the list.

Here is what port indicator looks like:

IMG_1743

 

We’ve written about our ABT stabilizers in the past, great company, great products, great service!  During our last trip we began to get some chattering from the stabilizer units and the response was off.  So the gang at ABT checked everything out; diagnosis was the top end bearings needed to be replaced on both.  We ordered the parts, along with some pressure test ports to replace a few pressure gauges on  the hydraulic system.  Tony showed up, dismantled some of the engine room stairs and cabinets in the laundry area to get full access to the units and within a few hours the stabilizers were back on line, calibrated and the control unit reprogrammed.   Quiet and smooth!

 

IMG_1732

 

IMG_1734

 

My first task was to re-install our Simrad FU25 steering lever on the Portuguese bridge.  It stopped working on our last trip and we found someone in Michigan who repairs the units.  I remembered to take a picture of the wiring before I removed it and shipped it off, so installing it was easy.  Once installed we ran through the calibration exercise and confirmed it was working.

IMG_1948

IMG_1753

 

The dive compressor had not been used for about 3  1/2 years and while our charter guests can not dive from the boat the captain and I like to dive when we are on the boat.  We had some guys come up from Ft Lauderdale who serviced the compressor and replaced a bunch of fitting and hoses that were pretty corroded.  Took an air sample from the compressor for a test to make sure it is producing dive-able air.  The whip and manifold got a reworking as well and looks great. We hauled the 6 dive tanks on the boat off to a local dive shop who inspected and tested the tanks, gave them a clean bill of health and filled them as well.  They are stowed away down in the Lazarette.    Looking forward to filling our own tanks while we are in the Bahamas.

IMG_1735

IMG_1737

 

The Master salon A/C unit failed one weekend when I was on the boat, right before a trip in March.  We got the local AC expert out who diagnosed a failed compressor. Took about three weeks to have a new one made and shipped, once on site our AC guy replaced the compressor as well as the manifold and the raw water circulating pump which has given us occasional grief over the last few months.  When our captain got on the boat this week the master salon unit was dead, again.   Not a good feeling in May right before you head to the Bahamas for 6 weeks or so.  Called our AC expert who got on the boat Thursday and discovered that the master control board had failed.  After consultation with the manufacturer (the analysis was “infant mortality”)we replaced the control board with the only new spare board in the state.  Our local contact sourced a reworked board which we took on as a spare just in case, but so far so good.   We also picked up a spare raw water pump, a critical component we don’t want to be without in warm conditions.

Finally, we attacked an old problem.  During the survey when we purchased the boat we noted that the main shower head in the master had almost no hot water pressure, we were told that “it had never worked” and everyone just used the hand held shower unit instead.  We had some spare time so the captain and I found the original documentation for the shower valve (the original owner saved and filed away every single manual and document), took apart the valve and discovered a big piece of caulking in the hot water check valve – we were prepared to replace the entire unit but no need.  Now there is enough pressure in the master to knock you over!

IMG_0172

IMG_0174

 

 

IMG_0175

 

Our charter schedule is full for May and June but if you have interest in a something later in the summer drop us a line.   We had some problems with the contact form on the website but it’s now fixed – if you did not get a reply to an earlier request please resend.

 

Saying goodbye the the gang at Cypress Island Marina, they have been good partners for the last few months.

IMG_1764

 

Headed to the Bahamas . . .

IMG_1766